Monday, January 24, 2011

Cleaning and Planning

Have a couple, ten or so projects I would like to finish, no energy to work on em, so I decided to attack one and see where it goes.  Have spent an hour here, two hours there, slowly working on clearing/cleaning areas so we can have more livable space.  The Basement and Garage are two main projects.  The basement is filled mostly my crap, the garage has a mixture of my stuff, my gf's stuff, and crap that the ex is storing.. 

My daughter Megan would like her own room, and has expressed interest in a basement hideaway.  The immediate goal is to make a downstairs 'living room' where she can hang out and then if I can convince the city for the zoning variance, will put in an egress window so she have use it as a bedroom.  But I think the living room space will be nice for a while

Had session three in the basement tonight, going through, sorting and itemizing the 'stuff' in my life.  Its fun trips down memory lane, sorta like shopping when I find a cool forgotten toy, and kinda tiring when I look at when is left to work on.  Aint all bad, especially when you can look at the progress and see more and more of a clear space!

Also called four contractors to get quotes to get a curbcut for a driveway for my garage (off street parking would be nice) and the look into how much an addition to my place would be.  I am not in the most stable job (lots of cutbacks, employee reductions) but I think that as an IT Professional (stop the giggling) I am employable..  So testing the waters and checking out how much it would be to add on to my little 946sq foot, 2 br house.  The addition options as I see it are:
  • I can add a 2nd level 20x11 space in the back (2 rooms with 1br, or 1 bigass room), 
  • or a twolevel 12x24 addition on the side (2 bigass rooms for 4brs)
The 1st would cost 22-35K, and still waiting for the quotes for the side addition (guessing 40k).  Of course there are plenty of  things that cam make it more or less, can do some of the work myself (sweat equity)

Some of the house fund will come from the just I am inventorying and plan to sell on craigslist.  Figure get a downpayment, use some tax returns, then see where we are at man..  This plot is really seeming possible!  =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Girls

My Girls