Wednesday, February 29, 2012

New Years Resolution Update.. $40 a month savings.. $500 a year total..

So as part of my new years resolutions to reduce my expenses I lowered the cost of my TV Watching..  I had signed up for DishNetwork last year, and just lost my signup bonus of $15 off each month, and was not paying over $70 a month for their 200 channels..  Plus I occasional slipped in a couple red box rentals..  Maybe like 4-6 a month so lets say $10 a month

Was OK with the selection (more than I watched tho) and had canceled Netflix last year, wasn't watching much, their shenanigans (with pricing and splitting streaming and disc) pissed me off so I left for a while..

So I called Dish and asked about my options..  They told me about the welcome pack.  Had all the local channels and several that I did want like AMC and The History Channel.  I need my  Breaking Bad and Walking Dead.  Some of the best TV out there I thinks..

And my girl needs her Swamp People..  The best thing was that the welcome package was only $15 a month.  With the DVR (ability to record and watch recorded shows) we would have all the shows currently saved, and with adding back Netflix it would cost about $30 a month..  So all in all I saved more than $40 a month, about $500 a year.  I need to figure out a way to reward myself with these savings..  Think I will try to plug $20 of it somewhere.. My GF said she really liked having the reduced channels, a lot of the crap (like 40 channels of music) is gone. I just hope my kids will forgive me because they dont have the Disney channel or Nick anymore


I had had Comcast for years before, for internet and cable TV, with sometimes the internet phone..  I have never hated a company so much as I had that hive of skum and villainy that is Comcast..  They will lie in their promotional materials, on the phone, in person.  Promise refunds or credits for non-service, and when it does not happen, claim you are lying about their broken promise.  I actually made some money when I moved into my new house.  Comcast had to wire it and when they did they cracked the cement tile siding I had.  (They also missed the appointment a couple times, so I got $20 AND did not pay for installation) Working with their insurance company I got $1200 for the cracked siding (and just siliconed the cracks to make them waterproof) I had them for maybe 6 months, and when they promised their basic service (just local channels, and 10 or so more) would work without cable boxes to rent, and then did not, I dumped and switched to DirectTV.  Big mistake (not dumping Comcast, thats always the right move)

DT plays so many games..  Promised you low rates, but requires you do jump through hoops to get them..  For example, they require auto billing to get the promised rate.  Require you to send in paper coupons, each month, to get the promised rate..  Don't give you the promised rate and then lie and say they never promised any such rate..  I did my two years and dumped them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Girls

My Girls