Friday, May 11, 2012

Good guy, sometimes for the wrong reasons?


So I try to be good, altho some of what I do is not out of concern for the enviorment or 'whats best' but purely on what I choose to spend.



My house has five incandescent lightbulbs, every other one is compact florescent.  4 years ago when I moved in I found a deal on on CF bulbs and bought a shiatload..  Made a game of it with my kids, paying them a buck for every 'old' bulb they could find..  Whats left is the:

  • bulb in my fridge (and stove, but that's burnt out so it don't count)
  • flame shaped lightbulbs in my dining room
  • funky shaped bulbs in my bedroom hanging light and
  • one basement light bulb I havnt changed yet (and the kids did not see)

I have had to replace two of the CF bulbs, due to breakage not burning out.  So that is pretty cool..

I have driven crap cars for the past 12 years.  Old 'beater' cars which I keep together with wishes, prayers and irregular emergency maintenance.  


  • I have serious mental issues about taking on autoloan payments.  When I married my ex, we bought a used car that had a $330 a month payment.. Just for the car.  No insurance, no gas, no maintenance..  Our 'friendly' autoloan servicer would help us out each year with offers to skip a payment, or add to the balance with holiday money.. 
  • It was supposed to be a 4 year loan, took 6 years to pay off that damn loan and I hated each and every payment I hand-delivered to those basteeds (if I maild em, no matter how early, it would somehow not be received until after the duedate, and they'd add fees)

So I drive inexpensive cars now but thats not so good for the enviorment.  I consistantly get crappy miles-per-gallon.  Drive rustbuckets which leak different automotive fluids like engine oil, antifreeze, and in a couple cases gasoline!  One had the gas lines rust out, and one basteed sold me a car with holes in the gastank!  I should have been more suspicious when on the testdrive the guy only put in about 3 bucks!


I have a push mower which I use to mow my lawn.  

While I get exercise and use me-power to mow, this is partly because my two previous gas mowers broke and I did not want to have to spend cash on repairs or a new power mower..  But it is partly because I want to have a smaller carbon footprint


  • I live less than 5 miles away from where I currently work, purposely chose the location to save on my commute to work, equally to save money and the environment.
  • I also purposely bought a smallish house (950sq feets) to save on heating and cooling





I haven't been able to break myself of the habit of not combining my shopping trips, and not making a list so I only have to go once a week, and not shopping 5 stores for grocery (looking for the best deals and hitting the discount food and bread stores)  I love to window shop and compare prices..

I updated my toilet..  Gone is the 5 gallon per flush beast, Welcome the 1.5 eco-flush wonder!  Also, its 'comfort height' so us old fogies can shiat, er sit.. comfortably...

Well, hope your spring is going well..  Have a great one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Girls

My Girls